Thursday, April 27, 2006

The Dill house, aka, leper colony

Well, well, well. The last few days have been HELL. Tuesday night, I came down with the flu that was delivered to me from the devil himself. I spent all night throwing up. It was the most horrible feeling ever. I kept thinking to myself, "Well, at least Eli isn't this bad." because prior to Tuesday, he would throw up, and then it would be over for a few hours, during which he seemed fine.

However, that all changed at about 3:00 in the morning, when Eli decided to keep me company, and started the marathon barfing too. After the first episode, Franz gave him a bath while I stumbled around and tried to change his sheets and get new blankets and jammies ready, only to have to do the same thing again a half an hour later. Poor little guy...it killed me to see him like that.

The next morning, Franz and I decided that it would be a good idea to take him to the emergency room because it had been days since he'd been able to really keep anything down. I couldn't go because I was too sick (I know, too sick to go to the hospital? Let me tell you, it wouldn't have done anyone any good to have me there.) and I felt so guilty for that. But Franz was a trooper, and took Eli in by himself. And he deserves a big prize for having to deal with what he went through.

Eli had diarrhea and got it ALL OVER THE PLACE on the way to the hospital. That's always fun. Thankfully, I had enough sense to pack extra jammies (however, I did not have the same sense to pack extra clothes when I took him out to pick up more pedialyte today, and boy, did I pay the price for that. It was all over, and I made an excutive Mom decision and had him go pantless in Safeway. Thankfully, I did have a blanket, so no one knew the difference), so Franz was the only one covered in poo. Once in the hospital, Eli was given an IV to pump him full of fluids. The doctor took some blood and urine samples, which all came back with good results. Eli just has a really bad stomach flu. All in all, they were in the emergency room for over four hours.

Eli and I are both doing a lot better today. It turns out he loves bubble gum flavored pedialyte (gross!) and is drinking a ton of it which is a good sign. However, Sona is now infected with the death flu and is unable to get off the couch. I hope that Franz manages to avoid it, but I have to say, the odds aren't good.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

NOOOOO!!! I was really hoping he'd get to be all smug with the superior immune system! I can't believe what you guys have gone through this week :(

Anonymous said...

Lots of prune juice and beer.

Anonymous said...

Poor Franz no being smug now. Kind of sounds like my family, one person gets sick(like my Dad), then someone else gets sick too(namely my Mom), then I catch it. After that Dad acts like it's not his fault when we all know it is.