Yesterday, I took Eli out shopping for his birthday present. I thought I was being all smart, taking advantage of the fact that:
A. He doesn't know that the presents are for him
B. He would forget about them once they were out of sight
C. He doesn't know its his birthday, let alone know what a birthday is and that it entails getting presents
Well, a factor I didn't consider was my weakness for making this little guy happy. We went to Toys "R" Us, and I had an idea of what I wanted to get him, but ended up with WAY more than I had intended. I swore that I would also take advantage of the fact that I have few precious years of being able to knock Eli's socks off with presents that don't cost a million dollars. However, because there were so many toys that I knew he'd love that were relatively inexpensive, it seemed reasonable to buy several of them, which when added together, was not cheap. C'est la vie.
When we got home, I brought in the presents to show Sona, and this one you see here in the picture was in one of those boxes that's missing the front side, so the kids can play with it. Well, Eli saw the box, and darted over to it, and starting pushing all the buttons, and I was so happy that he liked it, that I gave it to him right then and there. I feel awful for it. And son, if you're reading this now, this was a one shot deal with getting a birthday present early; I hope you appreciated it when you had the chance.
Oh!!! I almost forgot...so I mentioned in the last post Eli's obsession with fan, well, to our suprise, Toys "R" Us was filled with fans. I pointed out one for Eli, and Eli responded with the appropriate, "FAn" over and over again. We moved from the isle with the fan into the scooter isle (where we picked up this little gem) and all of a sudden, a very quiet Eli started chirping, "Fan! Fan! Fan!" and low and behold, he found a different fan and was doing all he could to show it to me. My heart melted right then and there. I was so darn proud of that kid. That was the first time he found something that he wasn't familiar with and knew what it was and pointed it out to me. Does that make sense? And does it make a little more sense as to why I gave him a birthday present a few days early? Am I stretching it a bit?
Wednesday, May 24, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Gone are the days when little boys get tanks and soldiers and guns and bazookas....missile launchers.
Thank goodness! No G.I. Joes for Eli (that goes for Killian too). Anyway just wanted to say Jen its okay your entitled to giving him one present early, even if it is his first birthday. Happy birthday Eli!! Have a good holiday as we are off to see Art this weekend. Love Beth.
P.S. still cant figure out this darn blogger thingy.
How about airplanes and bombers? Farm animals?
Post a Comment