Monday, May 15, 2006

Mother's Day!


Why is my mom such a dork?
Originally uploaded by pure_h2o.
You would think that we'd have pictures from my first Mother's Day. That's where you'd be wrong. All of us forgot to bring a camera, so this shot is just going to have to do. At least Eli looks good!

Eli decided to start the Mother's Day celebrations at three in the morning. He woke up to eat, which is not unusual, but then he decided that he just wasn't really that interested in going back to sleep. He wanted to play, and I wanted to sleep. He won that battle as he now thinks his crib is a jungle gym. It took me over an hour to get him back to sleep, proving that even though it was Mother's Day, I still had to be his mother.

Just as an aside, I spoke with Drena, and she said that Franz didn't sleep through the night until he was two. She said that she thought it was because he was smart and needed to be contstantly stimulated. If that's the case, Eli should be a genius. I think she was just saying that to make me feel better. Then I talked to my mom and she said that I didn't sleep through the night until I was nine months. I feel that I have served my karma, and it should be Franz's turn to wake up for the next year, should Eli decide to follow in his footsteps. I think its only fair.

Anyway, Eli continued the trend of crappy sleeping through the next morning by waking up at six and then only taking a short nap before we had to go to Mother's Day lunch. I was terrified that Eli would explode due to lack of sleep, but THANK GOD the resturant had celing fans. Those suckers weren't even on and he was still glued to them. But lunch was wonderful. Eli didn't act up and it was great seeing everyone, everyone being Nani, Grandpa, GG (great grandma), and Glen.

After lunch, we decided to go to the park. Again, I was sure that Eli would lose it, but he had a great time. I was so jealous; he was more affectionate with my mom than with anyone else. EVER. My mom gives "himmies", which is when you kind of make repetative M's on someone's jawbone (usually a baby. I don't know many adults who would let you do this). Well, she would give Eli himmies, and then he tried to give them back to her. It was the cutest thing ever. However, because we thought the cuteness had to be over, he had to out do himself. My mom was sharing a lime popcicle with Eli. She would give him some, and then just to melt all of our hearts, he would push the popcicle into her mouth. We all just about died. It was the cutest thing I'd ever seen. And I would be a liar if I said I wasn't jealous, because I was just as green as that stupid popcicle, but still so proud that he thought to give my mom some of what he was enjoying. But, just to prove that he was still Eli, if she took too long with the popcicle, he would steal it back. The good intentions are there...he's just a little low on patients.

After the park, he passed out in the car. We were all hoping that he would get home, eat dinner, have a bath, and then konk out. WRONG. He did eat dinner. He did have a bath. But he finally went to sleep an hour and a half after his bed time. He's just way into standing up in his crib and playing. That's all he wants to do. He was practically rubbing his eyes out of his head, but he still had to stand up and rip all the stars off his mobile.

However, through all of this, I had a wonderful Mother's Day. Franz bought me a new diaper bag, one that I'd even use if I didn't have a baby. It's adorable. And he's adorable for getting it for me. And he helped out a lot with Eli yesterday, giving me a chance to sit back and realize just how hard this job is. And it is hard. And wonderful. And I wouldn't trade it for anything.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you had the ceiling fans to distract Eli. Sounds like your first Mom's day turned out good after a rocky start. Now what about fathers day?

Anonymous said...

P.S. Jen is not a dork.

Anonymous said...

That picture is totally cute, although I would like to point out that he was giving me birthday love eyes while it was being taken (notice that he is looking to the photagrapher's right - a.k.a. - where I was sitting!!) Happy 1st Mother's Day - you're doing a terrific job!!

Franz said...

Happy first Mother's day Jen. I really super wish we had brought a camera to the park with us. Eli with that green popicle would have been priceless.

I'm sooo happy you enjoyed your gift. I knew you'd like the colors (brown and blue). I had that part going for me!

Love you bunches! Franz.

Anonymous said...

The bag is totally cute - Good job, Franz!!