Monday, March 20, 2006

Times, they are a changin'


Eli in a basket
Originally uploaded by pure_h2o.
Eli is definately in a transition phase. His sleep is all messed up, but beyond that, he's super interested in standing up and trying to walk. TRYING is the operative word. While he's standing, he has yet to grasp the concept that moving around entails more than just leading yourself around with your head. He really needs to get that his feet need to be a little more involved. Right now, its a lot of him leaning and then falling on his face, and me diving to catch him.

His nighttime sleep pattern is also changing. I used to feed him a bottle at around four (if he woke up before then, I would try and get him back to sleep...many a night was spent with Eli waking up at around three, me trying to get him back to sleep, but failing miserably. But because we're both stubborn, it would often times end up in a stand off, me not feeding him, and him not going back to sleep. Then at four I would feed him, and he would go back to sleep instantly.) but for the past few nights, he's been sleeping past four and eating when he wakes up at around seven. Normally, I would be jumping for joy because there seems to be a light at the end of the sleepless tunnel, but if its not one thing its another: Eli's now taken to wetting himself at night, causing me to have to change everything at some ungodly hour. NOT FUN. I've tried changing diapers, but what's strange is that 99% of the time, his diaper isn't even full when it happens, so I don't know what to do. I'm going to invest in some plastic pants to see if that does the trick, but I'm also afraid of him sleeping in a puddle trapped in the pants, and I don't think that's good either.

Suggestions, anyone?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Larger size diapers, and put them on tighter. Or "overnight diapers" There are also sheet savers you can put out over the sheets, so you only have to remove that in the middle of the night.

Anonymous said...

Let the boy run naked?

Anonymous said...

He is at the age where things change including sleep patterns. You just have to find some way that works even if it is through trial and error. Go with the suggestion of overnight diapers see if that works.

Franz said...

I can also sense that Eli is becoming more aware of his inability to talk to us. His thinking is more complex but he can't express his ideas to us clearly. Frustration sets in and he resorts to a cave man barkfest, lots of grunting and screeching. That or, he's taking a poop.

Anonymous said...

A basket of goodies---let's bite it!

Anonymous said...

Well, the best thing I can think of is One overnight on frontwards and one on backwards ,taped in the back instead of the front . Then maybe one on his head incase it's just droole!Then only change him if he wakes you . Otherwise leave him sleep.
GrandMa's best advise .

Anonymous said...

Hey Mah, Santa didn't leave anything for me in here!

Anonymous said...

Yes Jen its frustrating but you will find a way. Just hang in there, and ignore the diaper on the head suggestion thats really silly.