Yesterday, Eli and I made a trip to Mavericks, where today, they're having the big wave surfing contest. We went yesterday because we are too cool to go when everyone else will be there, and I actually wanted to see something besides a traffic jam.
On our way up the bluffs, where, if you squint your eye real hard while looking into your telescope, you can see surfers catching big waves, we were approached by some surfer guys in a truck asking me about parking. As the beach parking lot was full, I told them to park in the harbor. They asked me if they thought that all the people who were already at the beach planned on camping out over night, and I said I didn't know, because, well, I didn't. Then, just as we came to the part of the conversation where you bid goodbye and go your seperate ways, this guy said to me, "Hey, your baby looks like a TV baby. You should take pictures of him or something." I was elated. This little comment made my day. I'm told all the time, if not every time I go out, that Eli is either a beautiful baby, an angel, a doll, or an adorable baby. This is not to say that I don't appreciate these comments, its just that I've heard them all before. This comment was unique, and more than that, it was from a guy who obviously didn't have kids and had no reason to care about kids, which makes it all the more genuine.
After the awesome comment, Eli and I walked around, I took some pictures that didn't turn out well of the waves, then took pictures of us that turned out ok but not great, then saw a famous Maverick surfer, and even though I made Franz look up the guy's name last night, I still can't remember it, and then ended up meeting Kim at Starbucks. Phew! What is it with the really long sentences today?
So, we are now at Starbucks, and low and behold, who is there? Some guy from KRON 4 news working but a few feet from us. Now, I'm pretty sure that he wasn't a news anchor (but I could be wrong, I'm a KTVU girl) but he did have a camera, which was all that we needed to have random surfer guy's prediction come true.
After a few minutes, news guy came up to us, and was commenting on Eli's red cheeks, and how beautiful they were. I forgot to mention previously that this is also something that we hear a lot about: Eli's rosy cheeks (but Eli doesn't just have rosy cheeks. He has a condition called Slap Cheek, which he should grow out of. I wish I had a weird condition that made me cute) Anyway, I was not so smart, and told KRON 4 guy that he had Slap Cheek, which probably ended Eli's possibility of being a child star, as people in the entertainment industry don't want to work with people with weird conditions.
So, KRON 4 guy went back to his table and Kim and I started plotting. Eli had been in his carseat this whole time, and so we decided to take him out to really show KRON 4 guy what Eli could do. Eli being my son, was a total ham and flirted with everyone in sight. It was great. KRON 4 guy came back a second time, and said something I can't remember, but at this point Kim and I knew we had him hooked.
After he left the second time, we saw him get on the phone. Kim and I were sure that he was talking to some producer saying something to the effect of, "Hey, you know that baby we needed for that show? Look no further; I've got the kid. He's perfect. Though he's got a bit of a flat head, but we can just shoot him from the front. And his mother said he has some condition called Slap Cheek, but really all that means is he's got the most plump, rosy cheeks you've ever seen. Really, I think he's the one."
Then KRON 4 guy came over a THIRD time, and was talking about how babies stick everything in their mouths, and how one of his first memories is of him chewing on a pencil. I was thinking, "Great, a little personal story to warm us up, and then he'll get down to business and put Eli on TV.". But then he just left. Nothing. I was sure that because some random surfer guy said that Eli should be on TV, and then there was a TV guy who was interested in Eli, that he would be on TV. Nope. Nothing.
After talking it over, Kim and I both decided that we didn't want Eli to be an ex child star like Danny Bonaduce or Macaulay Culkin. So really, it worked out for the best.
Just as a side, I really do like Danny Bonaduce, I just don't want to be his mother.
Tuesday, February 07, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I think that was a very accurate and hilarious retelling of the story. Except you left out the part where Eli blew the audition for the Channel 4 guy by crying...I just like to think he was showing his range of emotion. I still think that guy could go back and ask the Starbucks people who we were. Stranger things have happened!! Either way, Eli is a beautiful baby, and I have so much fun hanging out with you guys!
SweetLove,
The surfer's name was (and still is) Grant Washburn. And, he placed 5th today solely based on his good fortune of passing Eli and you on the trail Monday.
I don't want Eli to be a child star like Gary Coleman. You know, all short and stuff. Bravo on the effort though!
Post a Comment