Things over the past few days have been pretty mellow. I think I'm finally growing my two kid legs. I feel like I'm completely starting over again in terms of how I am as a parent. When it was just Eli, I felt like I had things down; I didn't have to think about things because dealing with him became like breathing. That has all changed now that Max is here. I'm relearning how to be a parent. Everything takes ten times more effort. I have to think about how to get the kids in and out of the car. I have to calculate how long I'm going to be out and plan where I'll be when Max wants to eat. I can handle Eli and Max individually, it's the dealing with them together part that I'm trying to figure out.
Eli is doing great. He is making this transition so much easier than I thought he would. He is patient with me and Max and doesn't show an ounce of jealousy. Like at night, when we're putting Eli to bed and Max is screaming his little head off, Eli doesn't bat an eye. If he has any reaction at all, he tells Max, "It's O.K. It's O.K. Max. Don't cry." It's pretty adorable and it melts my heart every time. I couldn't have guessed that he would do this well.
Speaking of Eli's bedtime, well a new addition to his routine is Franz and me counting to twenty. Sometimes Eli joins us, but at the end, when we reach twenty, Franz and I dance around his room like dorks. I especially make a fool out of myself, looking like a ballerina who has had about twenty too many. And Eli always says, "Look at Mama go! Look at Mama go!" And no matter how tired I am or what kind of mood I am in, it always cracks me up.
And Max. Well, he's my little squishy squish face. For the most part, he's a calm and cuddly baby. Don't get me wrong, he has his moments, moments where you would think that he's going to explode with the fury of a cat in a hot tub, but that usually only happens for an hour or so at night. His sleep patterns resemble that of a skipping rock: the first stint is the longest, followed by several short hops. I know that this will even itself out sooner or later. Hopefully sooner rather than later. Like tonight. I would like that very much, thank you.
Friday, February 01, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment