On August 30, our friends Debbie and Christian had a beautiful baby girl, who they named Jamie. Franz and I went to visit the new family on Saturday, and I forgot about how just how small newborns really are. Jamie is about the same size that Eli was when he was that age, which meant nothing fit her, and her tiny arms were poking out of the neck on her jammies. I'm happy to report that she didn't seem too bothered by it.
I was struck by all the things that I forgot about being the parent of a newborn, like how wonderful they smell, and those adorable little noises that they make. I became seriously jealous when Christian changed Jamie, as he just left her on the table as he walked away to get a Q-Tip to clean her belly button nubb, not at all worried that she would throw herself off on to the floor. I also found that what I missed most about having a child that age was all the cuddling! Jamie was so happy sleeping in my arms, making sweet little baby faces and not wiggling around and screaming as if I were holding her captive, like some other kid I know named Eli.
When we got home, we went in and peeked on Eli while he was sleeping, and the first thing out of my mouth was, "Oh my god, he's huge!" It was then that I realized that Eli wasn't a baby anymore. I mean, I knew that he was less and less like baby because of all the walking and talking, but it wasn't until I saw Jamie, who was undenyably a baby, and Eli, who was nothing like her, that I realized the truth: I am the mother of a toddler.
Monday, September 04, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment