The last few nights around here haven't been too fun. Not last night, but the night before (twenty four robbers came a' knock'n at my door) Eli woke up around 1:20 am and came into our room. He informed me that he was just going to go downstairs. I looked at the clock and told him, "No, absolutely not.". I felt his head, and he was BURNING up. I gave him some Motrin and put him back to bed. Not ten minutes later, he came in again, and told us that he had to go to the bathroom. So we took him, and then put him back to bed again. Then, oh, three minutes later he came in and crawled into bed with us. While he was in with us, he told us that he heard Mackie and that we should go get him. But Max wasn't crying, he was sound asleep. Then he told us that he wanted to go sleep in his bed. So, I crawled out of bed for what felt like the millionth time, and put him back in his bed. I think I finally got back to sleep at around 2:40. Then at around 4:30, Max woke up and had a miserable time falling back asleep. I hadn't slept this bad since Max was first born, and at least then, I expected the sleep deprivation!
So, of course, Eli woke up pretty early that morning. I got up with him and put on a show, and he asked me to turn it up because he couldn't hear it. But the volume wasn't low. And there was no other noise, as no one else in their right mind were up at that time. So I turned up the TV and tried to sneak in a little cat nap. After a bit I noticed that Eli was especially cranky and lethargic, so I asked him how his ears felt, and he said that they hurt. I asked him which one hurt and he said, "This one and this one." Ahhhh. This all makes sense now, him thinking he heard Max when he was in our bed and his inability to hear the TV. As a kid, I was plagued with ear infection after ear infection until i had tubes put in my ears at the age of four. I knew how painful ear aches could be, so I called the doctor right away, and couldn't get an appointment until the late afternoon. Bummer. So I did all I could to make him comfortable until he could get some antibiotics.
To make a long story short, I took the boys to the doctor, and Eli had a double ear infection. I had the doctor look at Max's ears just in case, since he too has been feeling a little under the weather. Thankfully, his ears were clear. The doctor gave us a prescription for antibiotics and said that he should be feeling better in forty eight hours.
Well, twenty four hours later, and Eli is already feeling better, thank goodness. Its awful seeing him in so much pain. I just want my Eli back!
Along those lines, I also want my Max back. Last night, his cold took a turn for the worse, waking him up every two hours. He is such a different baby from Eli, and it took me a good hour to figure out what he wanted from me. He woke up around 1:45 am, and I went in and fed him. He ate a little bit, but instead of going right back to sleep (which he has done for the past nine months) he continued to cry. I put him back in his crib, hoping that he would settle himself down, but that made him worse. I went back into his room, picked him up, and I walked with him. Nope, that didn't help either. At a total loss, I gave him some Motrin (he felt a little hot, but not nearly as hot as his brother has been) thinking that perhaps his teeth were bothering him, and put him back into his crib. He was still crying, so I started rubbing his back, and he settled right down and fell asleep. This never worked when Eli was a baby. I tried rubbing his back when he couldn't sleep, and it just pissed him off that I wasn't picking him up, but it worked like a charm with Max. Well, sort of.
Max continued to wake up every two hours for the rest of the night, and was only comforted by a little back rub. When he woke up in the morning, he was not himself. Max's new past time is pulling himself up on anything he can grab onto, but this morning, all he wanted to do was sit in Franz's lap. He ate very little, which is not like him at all. Then, just two hours after he woke up, he went back to sleep for over three hours. When he woke up, I could tell he was feeling a little better, but not by much. He wanted to play, but was easily frustrated. He stayed like this all day long. I can't wait until this is all over!
Tuesday, October 28, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Hope you are all feeling better now or at least a little bit.
Post a Comment