Monday, March 17, 2008

Trial and Error


They're over it
Originally uploaded by pure_h2o
Oh man. This whole potty training thing is hard. Especially when there's a baby involved. Today I took the boys to Babies R Us to pick up a new swing for Max and a travel potty chair for Eli. This trip was awful. It started off by being jinxed by some lady who saw me pushing the cart with Eli in the child seat and Max in the basket, and she said, "Oh, you're a brave woman." And at the time, I didn't feel especially brave, as the boys were behaving just fine. I thought that this would be easy and we'd get our stuff, and be out of there in no time. WRONG.

Just as we got in the store, Eli decided he needed to use the potty (yay!) so I pulled the cart with a sleeping Max in his car seat in the basket and Eli attempted to go potty. Believe it or not, Babies R Us doesn't have a child sized potty. They have a child sized sink, but didn't think to put in a child sized potty. Smart guys, real smart. So, I sat on the floor while I held Eli on the potty, and Max, of course, woke up, and he woke up screaming. I took a break from holding Eli, and got Max and sat him next to me. I sat on the bathroom floor, resumed holding Eli on the potty with one hand, and let Max chew on the index finger of my other hand. I felt pretty awesome, let me tell you. And of course, I couldn't close the door (for some strange reason I felt guilty taking the handicap stall) so all the people who came in to go to the bathroom, got to see me in all of my glory. I sat there with Eli on the pot not going pee, and Max screaming for at least fifteen minutes. I kept telling Eli that it was ok, that if he didn't have to go that we could try again later, but that boy was determined to put his pee in the potty.

I could see that he really didn't have to go, so I took him off, and went in the nursing room and fed Max while Eli opened all the drawers of the changing table. After Max was good and fed, I put Eli back on the potty. This time it only took five minutes for him to go, and he actually went, and I was so darn proud of him.

1 comment:

morningglory said...

You did what any mom has to do even if it is an inconvience. Good for you Jen.