Monday, March 31, 2008

Eli and Max-isms


Keeping Daddy's Hat Warm
Originally uploaded by pure_h2o
Eli:

I think I may have said this before, but he pretty much makes everything into a garage door. His favorite thing as of right now is to take my kitty pendant and slide it up and down the chain while making garage door noises. He cons me into letting him do this by saying oh so sweetly, "You will let me play with your necklace if I touch it very gently." (which he pronounces like gentle lee). It gets me every time.

A few weeks ago, I started winking at Eli when we were in the car at stop lights. I told him that when someone winks at you, it means that they like you. Then Eli started blinking really fast and asked what that meant, and I told him that that meant he looked crazy. This morning, he walked up to me while I was changing Max with a hand over one of his eyes while the other eye blinked. First I asked him if his eye was ok, as it is every mother's worst fear that her child will poke it out. Then I realized that his was his way of winking at me and I just about melted into a little Jen puddle.

Just now, we gave Eli a Pez dispenser with a lamb head that the Easter Bunny forgot to put in his basket as dessert for eating most of his dinner. Eli told Franz, " You should say 'hi' to her." and Franz responded, and greeted the lamb headed Pez dispenser. Eli then told him that he couldn't say hi to her because she was sad that he was eating candy out of her throat. We all agreed that we would too would be sad if someone ate candy out of our throats.

Now for Max:

This morning, for the first time ever, Max rolled over. I have to be honest here and admit that I don't put him on his belly very often because he usually screams if he's on his belly and I like to eliminate any screaming where I can. Well, this morning I was feeling lucky and put Max on his tummy and he rolled right over. And then he screamed. I put him on his belly again, just to make sure that it wasn't a freak accident, and just as before, he rolled over. And screamed. I decided that the two rolls in a row was enough evidence to prove that he was a roller and that I didn't have to push it.

For the past week or so, Max has been sleeping really horribly. He wakes up three or four times a night, giving me only two hours of sleep at a time. When he wakes up, the only way he is soothed back to sleep is if I feed him. I swear, he eats more at night than he does during the day. But I can't blame the little guy; there's much more distraction during the day, what with Eli constantly poking him and me dealing with Eli. At night, he doesn't have to contend with anyone else. I'll have to try and fix that.

Max is a big bouncer now too. He isn't quite old enough for the doorway bouncer, but he sure loves it when he's held and bounced on the balance ball. When he's bouncing, he quickly quiets down and is most content when he's also gnawing on my finger. That is his happy place.

3 comments:

morningglory said...

I hope he did a good job with his dad's hat. Looks like he enjoyed his work.

morningglory said...

Getting gray hair?? No way.

morningglory said...

Ah the fruits of ones labor! Life is sweet when you are alomost three.