Sunday, May 08, 2005

Life is Like a Box of Clothes Pins


Jen_at_36weeks
Originally uploaded by pure_h2o.
Our "Birthing Preparation" class is complete and, well, we kinda feel prepared. At least more prepared than we were going into the class.

The class participated in a hands-on breathing exercise. We attached a clothes-pin to our earlobe for 1 minute symbolizing a contraction. The "contraction" finally subsided and, as a class, we blurted out common feelings that the teacher then wrote on her white-board: burning, throbbing, pain, numbing. Then the magical knowledge of breathing was imparted on us. We started round 2 of the clothes-pin contraction while employing our handy-dandy, pain suppressing, anti-contraction breathing skills. Jen said it helped her, and that's what matters.

As a father, the moral I extracted was: a contraction is like a clothespin on your ear, it burns, then throbs... until you get use to the pain then it doesn't hurt anymore. I am JOKING! Really, I'm not that callous. I just hope, really hope, during Jen's labor I don't reach measures as desparate as the father in the video we watched. He broke into song; "She'll be comin' round the mountain when she comes. She'll be comin' round the mountain when she comes..."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Franz,
Can you imangine a very strong cramp in your leg?One that last at least 1 min. ,then repeats in 2 mins. lasting at least 12 hrs.?If you can even imangine it , that's compareable to labor.

Anonymous said...

Sorry Guys ,
I thought about this and decided I shouldn't be so graphic!You will do fine ! Remember even your Mother survived !

Franz said...

Mom, you're trying to lay-a-hurt'n on us! I know what you're up to you SNEAKY lady. {Acutally I have no idea; I'm just kidding}. Don't worry, we didn't take your first comment as being too graphic!

Anonymous said...

Yes ,I'm sneaky . Just to let you know Epid. are great and usually work very well. I've even known some Mom's to be able to sleep through all but pushing .
I just want Dad to know it is very intense and normal to feel panicy as you do with a leg cramp.It's really the most work you'll ever do physically in your life .But, ends with a great reward