Wednesday, April 20, 2005

The Uncomforts of Pregnancy - A Father's Perspective

I must preface this with a disclaimer. What I am about to describe as uncomfortable to me, can in no way compared to the discomfort Jen is feeling. A discomfort that I will never truely understand. I mean, I'm never going to have a 7 pound little person foraging around in my abdomen, playing kickball with my bladder sack! Well, maybe if I sign-up for new-age, hands on midget liposuction - highly unlikely.

I write this as a reminder to myself and a tidbit to all those newly expecting fathers; if she's uncomfortable, you're uncomfortable. I wasn't warned of the pre-birth lack of sleep, not by anyone. Sure, people are willing to say hey, "Cover up that little boy's winkie when changing his diaper or he'll pee all over you!". Or, the first weeks AFTER birth of no sleep are painful. As you may have guessed, and the days encroach on June 11th, my "quality" of sleep is rapidly declining. For example, last night I went to sleep at 10:00 PM (very reasonable) waking at 7 AM and change. That's 9 hours of sleep you say? Wrong! Right now I feel soooo incredibly tired, as if I've slept a mere 3 hours. Hallucinations are on the horizon; I can feel it.

So, be warned all you fathers. The uncomfortable 3rd trimester is NOT just for mothers anymore. Fathers get to enjoy the labors of gender equality on this one. I sure hope Mrs. Nature isn't prep'n us for a screamer. Come-on Karma points!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My first reaction to this is to become very defensive. No, you don't know what it is like to have something hiccupping or kicking you at all hours of the night, most of the time having perfect aim at your very condensed bladder. It is also quite a bummer to have every time you move (which is a lot, because as Eli moves, what was once comfortable for me becomes painful) not only wake you up, but to cause pain as well.

This being said, I am really sorry that you are not sleeping well. At least one of us should sleep. But as we were not told about this, I am told that this is going to be a dream compared to the six weeks after Eli is born, so live it up!

(Written after 6 hours of horribly interupted sleep)

Anonymous said...

Sorry I didn't warn you ! It's mother natures way of preping you for the upcoming events.Hopefully your little one will be more cooperative then Franz was ,who didn't sleep through the night till he was 2.But, on the positive side was as cuddly as a puppy .Cute too!

Anonymous said...

Hi Jen, Happy almost first Mothers Day. Hope your having a good day. Or at least not a really uncomfortable one, I remember how long the last six weeks last. Your doing great and it won't be much longer now. By the way you should put up some new pictures of you and Eli, to show everyone how big he is getting. See yu soon!! Lisa