I had ONE the most beautiful moments of my life today. As I do almost every Friday, I woke up with the birds, threw my 7'6" and 5'9" surfboards in the back on my truck and headed up to Pacifica to surf Linda Mar. Driving up the coast, under a thick layer of rain clouds, I could make out the ocean breaks and it looked bad, really bad. So bad in fact that I called Jen (who was already at work) and proclaimed there would be no surfing today for me.
My ritual stop at the LM parking lot was a pleasent surprise, a stiff off-shore breeze and clean faces. The adrenaline spike hit (well, maybe it was the caffine), I kicked the truck in drive and stormed Nate Dog's house, rousing him for some sweet surf.
Because of the heavy down-pouring of rain, there was no one out. Well, one guy was surfing but bailed when we hit the beach... so, it was just Nate and I. In a wave trough I spotted what appeared to be a log floating about 50 yards away. Funny, I hadn't seen it earlier... then it was gone. With both Nate and I concentrating on the area, it happened. A dorsal fin emerged then a wonderous {PSSHHHSSSTTT} sound! It was a dolphin! Then another emerged; a mother dolphin with a little 3-4 ft. long baby bottlenose at her side. At one point the non-mother dolphin (the father?) swam within 15 ft. of Nate and I. I really can't express how truely wonderful the experience was; the emotions of impowerment and privaleage that filled me. I had only seen dolphins in "the wild" once before when we went whale watching 2 weeks ago. And then, to swim with them! Un-freaking believable!
My thoughts meandered to Eli and how one day I'd be teaching him about the world, like how the momma dolphin was teaching her youngster where to stop for a halibut snack. How one day he'd be out there surfing the waves with me... maybe even seeing a dolphin or two.
Eli, I can't wait to meet you! Love, Dad.
Friday, April 08, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Awsome ! I think you and Jen will be so lucky to meet your Son . I'm sure you had a special awakening yesterday. And there was a reason.You will be surprised and pleased at how different the world will look when Eli is born. As I've always felt about you 3/kids. You were the greatest things that ever happened in my life. Love you!
Awww momma, you're too kind! But, thank you so much for those wonderful thoughts. It's strange how when it comes to some things we communicate better on a webpage than in real life. We're just a shy folk I suppose.
Take care mom, and I hope your spider bite gets better.
Post a Comment