Thursday, May 03, 2007

Locked in the bathroom


Snarl
Originally uploaded by pure_h2o.
Yup, you read it correctly, yesterday, Eli locked himself in Kim's bathroom. With the lights off. And she doesn't have the kind of locks that we have at home, you know, those outie bellybutton kind. No, she has the little twisty turny kind that don't unlock if you stick a hairpin in the little hole.

So what did we do? Well, first, we pleaded with Eli to try and unlock the door. If he could lock it, he could surly unlock it, right? But sadly, the answer to that question is no. No, he couldn't unlock it, so we had to take the door knob off the door. I was at a pretty high level of panic, as was Eli. Kim was on "responsible adult" mode, so she was doing all the work while Eli and I were freaking out. Eli was freaking out much more noticibly than I was, as thankfully, all of my freakout manifested in my eyes, which he coudn't see.

Anyway, Kim got the screws out, and I figured we were smooth sailing from that point, but again, I was wrong. There was some sort of safety that kept it from coming out. I was at a total loss. Kim thought to get up and try and pry out the screen from the tiny window outside, and it was when she was gone that I realized that I too had to be the responisble adult. I picked up the screwdriver, and started working on the door knob. After a minute of getting nowhere, my instinct told me to get a hammer and beat the crap out of the door knob. And then I realized I was crazy, and started plunking around with it again, like less of a mad woman. And then the door opened. I couldn't tell you what I did to get it to open, but it did, and Eli was on the floor crying, and once he saw me, he got up and ran over to me and gave me the biggest hug ever.

After all of that, Kim put her door knob back on, and Eli and I went home. Kim told me later that she relayed the story to her boyfriend Phil, and he said that we should have taught him how to unlock the door when we got him out so this wouldn't happen again. Yes, that would have been smart. Maybe next time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow what an experience that must have been! Oh happy almost birthday Eli!! Will send greetings later.

Beth.